Tuesday 14 June 2011

Wood You Buy It?

A couple of years ago I read a very moving book about deforestation by an accidental activist (it started with his holiday in Cambodia) - My Journey With a Remarkable Tree by Ken Finn. About how these beautiful ancient spirit trees were via illegal logging and export finding their way into garden furniture sold in the UK.

I'd stored away the thought that I should do something to somehow pass the message on - and now I have the chance.

There's a new WWF campaign all about "putting more pressure on suppliers to show evidence of where their wood goods originate. As consumers, an easy first step is to demand that shops sell responsibly-sourced FSC-certified wood products. We need the government to push businesses in the right direction too." Here's the campaign video



And you can learn more about how to get involved at wwf.org.uk

No comments: