Thursday 21 May 2009

HMS Paycheck


I'm in the late stages of drafting a book so obviously I need frittering diversions. Like tidying the desk, or getting to the post office. Or writing stuff just to get some words moving onto the screen. The other day I had the idea of writing a Gilbert & Sullivan parody opera about the UK MP's expenses scandals.

Here's a sample of what I mean (based on the "I am the captain of the pinafore" song from HMS Pinafore). Do feel free to chip in if you need to fritter while getting down to something. Today's episode is based on the resignation of the speaker of the house of commons. Also involved will be mySociety who brilliantly brought all of this about through a freedom of information act request for details of expenses, something the speaker tried to block and then a campaign.

Orchestra, house lights....

Speaker.
I am the Speaker of the House of Commons

Chorus.
And a right good speaker, too!

Speaker.
You're very, very good,
And be it understood,
I command a motley crew.

Chorus.
We're very, very good,
And be it understood,
He commands a motley crew.

Speaker.
Though soon to be a peer,
I can spin and block, and steer,
And hold inquiries at bay;
Your secrets are safe with me
No matter how dirty
They will never see the light of day

Chorus.
What, never?

Speaker.
No, never!

Chorus.
What, never?

Speaker.
Oh... bother
(holds up email)

No comments: