Thursday 4 December 2008

Errata


Just discovered reading while Peter Senge's book (The Necessary Revolution which is quite brilliant by the way so far) why I was so wrong to assume all biofuels are bad - reading about the Swedish approach using pulp (eg woodchip waste from forestry). Goran Carstedt had told me some months ago that I was basically just repeating the evil lies spread by the oil industry to suppress this rival. Now I see why and I do admit I could have been quite wrong on this - need to investigate further.

Also found out last few days that only 40% of China's industrial output is exports - quite high still but also does raise questions about my argument that 'they are our factories' when it comes to accepting responsibility and not passing the buck to China. Net imports of carbon are still the biggest single item in the UK consumerised footprint. But again I need to understand China better.

It's humbling to be quite so wrong on such basic stuff but also encouraging that it's possible to keep learning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear John,

my name is Martina Hoffhaus, I am chief executive of messagepool, a communication agency specialized in sustainable communications in Germany, stainability marketing, CSR and green PR in general. We currently work – among others – for a new LOHAS TV channel, which will be launches probabely next year.

Apart from that, we are about to establish an international network of green marketing professionals in order to bring together agencies and consultants with a strong relation to sustainability, LOHAS and CSR. Under the name of LOHAS CompetenceCenter (comprising LOHAS Academy, LOHAS Services, LOHAS Consumer) we have started a consultant/marketing network in Germany which we are planning to expand internationally. We want to bring together agencies, consultants and “thinkers” concerning LOHAS/sustainability; that is professionals in innovation, strategy, events, advertising, PR, fairs, seminars, market research on LOHAS/CSR, consultants and agencies. The aim of LOHAS Competence Center (LCC) is to support companies in implementing sustainable topics, providing a LOHAS knowledge-base and a network platform. Moreover, LCC initiates pioneer projects in order to bring about changes within our societies’ value system.

Apart from that, we want to establish a network of agencies in order to support clients internationally.
Currently, I am reading your inspiring book "The green manifesto". As I am coming to London, I would be delighted to meet you. I would like to know more about the current discussion in UK, what you do, your network, etc. May be we can create something. Do you think this could be of interest to you? I very much hope so.

If so, I would like to get in touch with you personally. I will be in London between December 28th and January 2nd and would like to ask if you are available for a meeting on either of those days. Please let me know which date is convenient to you. I am looking forward to hearing from you and eagerly await for your reply.


For further information see: www.message-pool.de and/or www.lohas.de. Unfortunately only in German.

I would like to send you a press release of the LCC which is unfortunately
written in German, but the photos might give you an idea of our activities.
The topic was: Will LOHAS put communications upsite down? An audience of 380 communications experts came to the first LCC event in the Museum of Communication, Frankfurt. Five experts with different backgrounds ranging from Germany’s Eco Manager 2007, Jürgen Schmidt of memo to Peter Parwan, Founder of lohas.de discussed their view of LOHAS communications.

Would you be so kind and send me your correct email? The presse release contains fotographs.

kind regards,

messagepool

sustainable communications

LOHAS CompetenceCenter

Laubestr.19

60594 Frankfurt

Tel: + 49 (0)69 61 00 98 99

Fax: + 49 (0)69 61 00 98 98

Mobil: 0176 23260146

hoffhaus@message-pool.de

www.message-pool.de

Skype: lohascc_messagepool